Monday 25 May 2009

The Fine Art of Asking Questions - Part 1

You might not have thought very much about how you ask questions. I have.

Let me share what I have found so that you too might achieve the kinds of results you seek.

Answering questions are a great opportunity to provide valuable insights, gain new understandings, etc, etc.

However, it is the Art of Asking the Question where the true conversational power lies. And of course, feedback is always good to receive - no matter how difficult it may to really hear it at the time. It is usually meant with the best of intentions, and if it isn't, then you can find ways of spotting that too.

I hope you'll keep asking more questions throughout your career because an enquiring mind is the most useful thing to have (in my humble opinion).

Now there are different types of Questions:

Questions to clarify understanding, Questions to gain agreement, Questions to unite people to a cause - Your strategy in asking the right questions to the right audience at the right time will guide your ability to get things done.

How to elicit the best response? Ask for it. Preface it with something which takes out a confrontational or controversial oppositional stance:

"Would you mind if I asked, ..."
"I hope you don't mind if I enquire, .... "
"That makes me wonder if, (whether) ...."
"I'd just like to understand exactly what you mean when you say 'xxx'. "

By all means, structure your questions so you have a meaningful conversation. From meaningful conversations, great things can happen. And when great things happen, the world is a better place.

Yes, Asking Questions, and asking them well can make or break a career.

Please pass this one on to all - because as I intimated above, an enquirying mind is the most beautiful thing to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment